Using the Mini Bowdabra and the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler we created these super cute tulip flower hair bows. The flower hair clippies were so fun to make we created several and showcased them on a card to look like flowers growing along a white picket fence. Our step-by-step tutorial teaches you how to make these hair bow flowers for yourself.
To make tulip hair clip flowers you will need:
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
- Bowdabra Bow Wire
- 5/8” Orchid Sheer Ribbon (for 1 flower)
5/8” Lite Pink Sheer Ribbon (for 1 flower)
5/8” Peach Sheer Ribbon (for 1 flower)
3/8” Pastel Green Grosgrain (finishing ribbon)
Clear Nail Polish to keep ribbon ends from fraying
Glue Dots or Hot Glue Gun
Optional Bow Holder Card Includes: Cardstock and 3/8” White Grosgrain
1. Place Bowdabra® Hair Bow Tool and Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra, leaving a space at the bottom for the Mini Bowdabra tower to move. Cut a 18” piece of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half. Lay it into the Mini Bowdabra. You’ll have a loop at one end and two loose pieces at the opposite end.
2. Next, cut a piece of ribbon that will line your alligator clip. Cut the ribbon 6” long and place into the Mini Bowdabra. This ribbon will have to be trimmed later to fit onto the alligator clip.
3. Next, using a 5/8” piece of sheer ribbon place the end of the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra. To make your first loop turn the ribbon at an angle place the bottom of the ribbon up, fold, crease the ribbon, and press into the Mini Bowdabra. Your ribbon loop should be at the 1.5” mark.
4. To make your second loop form a very small loop this will be the base of your flower.
5. Continue making 1.5” loops by turning the ribbon at an angle and facing the bottom of the ribbon up and forming a crease. The bottom loops should continue top be very small. When you have enough loops trim the ribbon from the spool and seal the end.
6. Next, place 3/8” wide grosgrain into the Mini Bowdabra. To make your first loop turn the ribbon at an angle place the bottom of the ribbon up, fold, crease the ribbon, and press into the Mini Bowdabra. Loop should be at the 1” mark. Make a small loop at the bottom matching the size of the sheer ribbon below it. Make another 1” loop and trim the ribbon from the spool.
7. Scrunch down with Mini Bowdabra Wand. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Mini Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
8. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow and knot. Trim away excess wire. Fluff the bow and trim the bottom ribbon loops closely to the Bowdabra Bow Wire. Using the 3/8” grosgrain attach the bow to an alligator clip. The flower bow should be at the end of the alligator clip. Completely attach the bow to the alligator clip and trim away excess ribbon.
9. Cut a 3.5” piece of ribbon to form leaves and cover the Bowdabra Bow Wire. Fold the ribbon in half at the center crease mark glue it onto the back of the alligator clip. Bring the ribbon around to the front cross it over the Bowdabra Bow Wire and glue it in place.
10. Make several flower bows.
Bow Holder: Attach 3/8” white grosgrain to a card for a fun fence look.
Clip the flowers onto the fence. Give homemade card along with hair bows as a gift for Easter, Mother’s Day, Birthday Gift, or even as party favors.