Are you always asked by the neighborhood kids “is it a girl or boy”? If your dog is a girl like my 10 pound Yorkie, Lola, why not add a bow to the harness? In our case a gentle leader. Lola pull’s like a sleigh dog. After endless months of attempting to train her we were unsuccessful. That’s when we were introduced to the gentle leader. It’s nothing fancy. A simple harness that helps her not feel the urge to pull. Adding an inexpensive bow with supplies you already have on hand is the perfect way to jazz up a plain old harness.
Bowdabra Bow Wire
Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
3/8” wide 3” long Collar Loop
1.5” wide 22” long Ribbon for 3” Basic Bow
3/8” wide 4” Spray Ribbon for Spray
3/8” wide 5” long Ribbon Finishing Knot
Clear Nail Polish
1. Begin by gathering all the materials you will need for this project. Cut ribbon and seal each end of the ribbon with clear nail polish. The nail polish dries quickly so there is no need to wait for it to dry.
2. Place Bowdabra® Hair Bow Tool and Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra, leaving a space at the bottom for the Mini Bowdabra tower to move. Cut an 18”piece of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half. Lay it into the Mini Bowdabra. You’ll have a loop at one end and two loose pieces at the opposite end.
3. Cut a small piece of 3/8″ ribbon and fold in half. Place the loop on one side and the ends on the other side of the Mini Bowdabra tower. This is the loop that the pet’s collar will be fed through.
4. Next, fold the 1.5″ ruffled ribbon in half to find the center. Make a crease at the center point. Place the ribbon at the crease mark down into the center of the Mini Bowdabra.
5. Depending on how large you would like your hair bow to be is where you place your first loops. To make your first loop, fold and make a crease into the ribbon and press into the Mini Bowdabra.
6. Next, fold the other side at the same width. Ribbon tails should be right side down above your loops. Scrunch with the Mini Bowdabra Wand to hold the loops firmly in place.
7. Fold ribbon tails one at a time down through the center of the Mini Bowdabra, making creases into each tail.
8. Add a piece of ribbon on top of the bow for a finishing touch. *This piece of ribbon is referred to as a spray. Scrunch down again with Mini Bowdabra Wand.
9. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra. Gently pull the bow out of the Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow and knot. Trim away excess ribbon.
10. Fluff the bow - No Hardware is necessary just use the loop on the back to attach the bow to the pet’s collar or harness.
11. Your furry friend is now ready to wear her designer dog harness!
12. This style bow is perfect for dogs who do not like clips or bows in their hair. They can still be très chic wearing a designer dog harness!
Click here for more dog bow tutorials….