Okay I know it sounds crazy! But with inexpensive supplies like rubber grommets and curling ribbon you can create some beautiful charms! I used hot pink curling ribbon because I thought it would look amazing with the silver and black accents. This is not only a fun craft for adults but would also be a great teen and pre-teen craft! Girls will have so much fun creating an assortment of different colored charms to be used on necklaces and bracelets. Perfect fashion jewelry for proms, sweet 16, and quinceañeras!
To make the craft you will need:
- Assorted Sized Rubber Grommets
- Curling Ribbon
- Straight Pins with Pearl Heads
- Hot Glue or Tacky Glue
- Mod Podge
- Jewelry Tools
- Silver Painting Pen (optional)
1. Begin with rubber grommets. I found mine leftover from a project my husband and I were working on. If you don’t have rubber grommets on hand they can be purchased very inexpensively at your local hardware store.
2. Next, using a straight pin with a pearl head place it through the inside center of the grommet. Pierce the curling ribbon with the pin and begin to wrap it around the grommet.
3. Continue piercing the curling ribbon with the straight pin and wrapping.
4. Once you have enough curling ribbon around the grommet trim the ribbon from the spool. Use hot glue or tacky glue to hold the ribbon end in place.
5. Trim the end of the straight pin but leave enough to make a loop.
6. Using needle nose pliers bend the pin to create a loop to hang the charm.
6. Create as many charms as you want.
7. To seal the ribbon cover the entire charm with Mod Podge.
8. Paint the rubber grommet using a silver paint pen. If you are worried about getting paint on your curling ribbon paint the grommets before wrapping with curling ribbon. Next time I make these I may paint them first. It probably would have been easier.
9. The charms are finished and can be attached with jump rings to necklaces or bracelets.