Show your patriotic spirit with red, white, and blue hair combs! Use the Ribbon-to-Bead to easily add beads and bows to hair clips. Last week, I made formal ribbon and bead hair combs (click here for tutorial). My young daughter has thick wavy hair and the hair clips were perfect to pull her here hair back. She requested a few more hair clips this time with bows and brighter colors!
- 2.25″ Hair Clips
- Ribbon-to-Bead (Light Blue)
- 5/8″ Red Grosgrain Ribbon
- 3/8″ White Satin Ribbon
- Large Eyed Beads
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
- Silver Bowdabra Bow Wire
1. Begin by following the instructions to wrap hair combs with ribbon-to-bead. Add two beads to each side of the combs.
2. Place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut 18″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
3. Cut 8.5″ of 5/8″ red grosgrain ribbon. Cut the ribbon ends at opposite angles. Seal the ribbon with clear nail polish or a lighter. Place the end of the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra with the point at the 1.5″ mark.
4. Fold and press the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra to create a 1″ loop.
5. Fold and press the ribbon at the 1″ mark on the other side. The tail should be at the 1.5″ mark.
6. Place the 3/8″ white satin and the sheer ribbon-to-bead together at the ends. Seal the ends of the ribbon. Place the two ribbons together into the Mini Bowdabra. Fold and twist the ribbon at slightly before the 1″ mark to create your first loop.
7. Fold and twist on the other side. Create a total of 4 loops. Trim away excess ribbon and seal the ends.
8. Scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
9. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Mini Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
10. Bring the Bowdabra Bow Wire around to the back of the bow and knot.
11. Fluff the bow and separate the sheer and satin loops.
12. Using the Bowdabra Bow Wire attach a bead to the center of the bow.
13. The remaining Bowdabra Bow Wire is used to attach the bow to the center of the hair comb.
14. Follow the instructions to make a matching hair comb.
15. Hair combs are perfect for all ages and these red, white, and blue ones are a great way to show your patriotic spirit!