Design little woven ribbon patchworks to be placed in the center of hair bows, adorn gifts, or even be added to scrapbook pages. These little woven ribbon patchwork pieces are fun to make and very addicting! Create your own color combinations to compliment any occasion.
- 25″ – 4 strands of 3/8″ grosgrain ribbon
- Hot Glue Gun
1. Begin by cutting 4 pieces of 25″ 3/8″ grosgrain ribbon. Fold the ribbon in half and iron to create a crease. Next, create a simple weave to begin with. Place the ribbon so that it is between the loops and tails go through to the other side.
2. Next, fold ribbon 1 down, fold ribbon 2 over, fold ribbon 3 up, weave ribbon 4 through, and pull tight.
3. Now, take the top right ribbon and fold it underneath to create a triangle. Fold the ribbon down to create a point and iron, again.
4. Fold the point over and iron in place. Next, fold the end of the ribbon in half the long way and iron in place to make it easier to weave.
5. Weave ribbon 1 down, iron ribbon 2 into a point weave it across, iron ribbon 3 into a point weave it up, iron ribbon 4 into a point weave it across, and then flip it over.
6. Starting at the top right ribbon again iron the ribbon into a point and weave it across. Do the same for ribbon 2, 3, and 4.
7. Next, you will need some sort of small tool I used an etching tool but a crochet hook or even a chopstick would probably work. Begin by placing it through the top left point to see where it leads.
8. Take the bottom right ribbon and using the tail thread it through the point on the (top) left. Then take ribbon 2 on the bottom left and thread it through the very top point (on the right). Next, take ribbon 3 very top left and loop it down to the point on the (bottom) right. Lastly, take ribbon 4 top right and loop it down through bottom point (on the left). Leave little loops as you place the ribbon through the points.
9. Pull the ribbon tightly to finish the weave.
10. Turn the patchwork over.
11. Trim the free ribbon strands and hot glue to the back.
12. Trim the remaining ribbon strands at an angle and hot glue them inside of the points. Turn the patchwork back over to the front. Your little woven ribbon patchwork is complete. Make several to match hair bows, headbands, gift wrapping, or scrapbooking pages.
13. The patchwork complete from edge to edge is 1.75″ squared. Hot glue the woven ribbon to the center of a coordinating hair bow. Click here for hair bow tutorial.