No matter how old my girls get, they love making and eating the traditional dirt sundaes. You know the one with chocolate pudding, crushed Oreo cookies and gummy worms! Well this year they decided to put a twist on the sundae and use recycled jars and ribbon. It turned out to be another 30 minutes and under project from start to finish.
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
- Bowdabra® Bow Wire
- Faux Flowers
- Low Temp glue gun or glue dots
- Small glass vase or recycled jars, 1-2 cup size
- Pipe cleaners
- Various variety and sizes of ribbon depending on size of jar
- 7/8 DF Satin 7yd Plum
- 7/8 DF Satin 7yd Tangerine
- Bobbin Grosgrain
- 1-2 cups of chocolate pudding per jar
- 2-4 crushed Oreos per jar
- gummy worms and bugs
1. Make your chocolate pudding. Homemade, instant or cooked. Up to you. If you are really short on time you can buy the pre-made pudding.
2.Wrap stem of flower with 1-2 pipe cleaners. Mix and match the colors and insert it into a straw. The straw will keep the “stem” clean when you add it to the “dirt”pudding.
3. Take various patterns, textures and ribbons and set them out for the kids to decorate their jars. Attach ribbon with a low temp glue gun or glue dots. Both work. Once the ribbon is on the jar, add in your chocolate pudding. Crush 2-4 Oreos and add them to the top of the pudding. Add on the gummy worms and bugs.
4. Use the Mini Bowdabra to make a bow if they want one on. My girls can use the bow making tool on their own. Place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler over the Mini Bowdabra. Cut a 24” piece of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half. Lay it into the Mini Bowdabra. You’ll have a loop at one end and two loose pieces at the opposite end.
5. Cut a 18″ piece of 7/8 DF Satin Plum ribbon and lay ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra.
6. Decide how big you want your loops. To make your first loop, fold the ribbon and press into the Mini Bowdabra. Dove-tail the ends of ribbon by folding your ribbon in half and cutting at a 45 degree angle.
7. To make your second loop, fold the ribbon and press into the Mini Bowdabra using the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler as a guide to make your loops even.
8. Cut a 10″ piece of 7/8 DF Satin Tangerine, find the center and lay ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra on top of the Plum.
9. Make your loop, fold the ribbon and press into the Mini Bowdabra and repeat on the other side. On top, add in two 3″ pieces of grosgrain ribbon and one pipe cleaner cut in half.
10. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end. Lift off, flip it and knot it on the back of the ribbon. Don’t cut the Bowdabra Bow Wire. Use that to wrap around the jar. If you do cut it, just hot glue the bow to the jar.
11. Scrunch up the pipe cleaners to add texture and flair to the bow.
12. Here are a few more examples. One of the girls had her worms crawling on top of the faux flower. The edible flower sundae looked so real that one of the cats thought it was time to play in the dirt.