It is pet week here at Bowdabra and we have had so much fun creating pet crafts! Follow our tutorial to learn how to design a wooden dog bone plaque using two wooden hearts and two wooden craft sticks. Craft sticks and craft hearts can be bought in bulk and you can make several dog bone plaques at a great savings.
- 2 Wooden Craft Sticks
- 2 Wooden Hearts
- Wood Glue
- Hot Glue Gun
- Acrylic Paint
- Black Sharpie Marker
- 20 gauge wire
- Wooden Dowel
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
- Bowdabra Bow Wire
- 3/8″ Island Blue Satin Ribbon
- Silk flowers and floral leaves
1. Begin with 2 wooden craft sticks and 2 wooden hearts.
2. Glue the edges of the craft sticks with wood glue. Use a damp cloth to wipe away excess glue. While the glue is drying hold the sticks in place with clips.
3. Once the glue is dry (about 30 minutes) glue the wooden hearts on each side and clamp in place. Use a damp cloth to wipe away excess glue.
4. Once the glue is dry remove the clips and paint the dog bone with acrylic paint.
5. Add an inspirational message or quote onto the bone. I used a Sharpie to write my quote.
6. Create the hanger for the plaque by wrapping 20 gauge wire around a wooden dowel.
7. Hot glue the spiraled wire onto the plaque. Unroll the ends of the wire to make them straight and easy to glue onto the back.
8. The wooden plaque is complete and just needs a Mini Bowdabra bow for the final touches.
9. To make the bow place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut 18″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire, fold it in half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
10. Place floral leaves into the Mini Bowdabra.
11. Place the 3/8″ satin ribbon end into the Mini Bowdabra.
12. Fold the ribbon and create a loop at the 1.5″ mark.
13. Fold the ribbon back and forth at the 1.5″ mark making a total of 8 loops.
14. Add florals to the center of the Mini Bowdabra.
15. Scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
16. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
17. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
18. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. To tie off the bow, pinch the Bowdabra Bow Wire securely against the bow. Twist the bow 4 to 6 times in a clockwise direction. Fluff bow and hot glue a silk flower to the center of the bow to hide the Bowdabra Bow Wire.
19. Use the remaining Bowdabra Bow Wire to tie the bow to the wooden dog bone plaque. Trim away excess wire.