This week on the Bowdabra Blog we will be featuring jewelry enhanced with ribbon. Last week while searching for inspiration to make ribbon embellished earrings I came across beautiful ribbon earrings on pinterest. I love the little gingham stud bows along with ribbon dangle earrings.
But ultimately when it came to making my own ribbon earrings I decided to make ribbon wrapped hoop earrings finished with a Mini Bowdabra petite bow. I wrapped the hoop earrings by whip-stitching 3/8″ satin ribbon around the hoops. Then using the Mini Bowdabra with the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler on the metric side I made small 3cm wide petite bows.
- 1.5″ Hoop Earrings
- 3/8″ Black Satin Ribbon
- 3/8″ Red Satin Ribbon
- Black & Red Thread
- Sewing Needle
- Lighter or Clear Nail Polish
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
- Bowdabra Bow Wire
1. Begin by cutting and sealing 3/8″ satin ribbon for both hoops. Cut 2 black pieces of ribbon 2.5″ long. Cut 4 red pieces of ribbon 7/8″ long. Seal the ends of the ribbon with a lighter or clear nail polish.
2. Whip-stitch the 2.5″ long piece of black ribbon onto the hoop earring.
3. Whip-stitch the two small 7/8″ red satin ribbons onto each side. Ribbon wrap both hoop earrings the same way.
4. To make the bow for the hoop earrings by Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra metric side up. Cut 12″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire, fold the wire in half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
5. Seal the ends of the red 3/8″ satin ribbon and place the end into the Mini Bowdabra.
6. Fold the ribbon at the 1.5cm mark to create your first loop.
7. Fold the ribbon at the 1.5cm on the other side for a matching loop.
8. Fold the ribbon at the 1.5cm mark one more time on each side to create a total of 4 loops. Leave the ribbon attached to the spool.
9. Scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
10. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
11. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
12. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. To tie off the bow, pinch the Bowdabra Bow Wire securely against the bow. Twist the bow 4 to 6 times in a clockwise direction.
13. Fluff bow and trim away the ribbon from the spool as close to the Bowdabra Bow Wire center. Seal the end of the ribbon.
14. Follow the instructions to make two matching bows. Hot glue the bows onto the ribbon wrapped hoops. Add a finishing ribbon to the center of the bow. I used 3/8″ black satin ribbon that I folded in half lengthwise and whipped stitched closed.
15. Ribbon wrapped hoop earrings with a bow are complete.