Celebrate Grandparents Day with handmade Popsicle stick Magnet Picture Frames! Grandparents Day is the first Sunday, in September, after Labor Day. You still have plenty of time to help your kids make this fun and creative hanging picture frame, that the “grands” will cherish!
- Mini Bowdabra®
- Bowdabra® Bow Wire
- Peel and Stick Magnet Strip
- Embellishments (shells & buttons)
- Scrapbooking Paper
- Popsicle Sticks (we chose painted but unfinished would work, too)
- Large Pop-Up Glue Dots
- Elmer’s Glue
- 7/8″ Purple Satin Ribbon
- 1.5″ Yellow Satin Ribbon
1. Begin by gluing two Popsicle stick frames. Let dry. We chose to use painted Popsicle sticks but unfinished Popsicle sticks will work, too. Or you can paint your own Popsicle sticks and make it really colorful!
2. Cut out coordinating scrapbooking paper and tape it onto the back of the frames.
3. Add little accents like shells and buttons to the side of the frame. Use large pop-up glue dots or tacky glue to hold it all in place.
4. Cut a long piece of ribbon, dovetail the end and tape to the back of the frames. To dovetail a ribbon fold it in half and cut it at a 45 degree angle.
5. Attach two long pieces of adhesive backed magnets to the back of the first frame.
6. To make the bow for the frames: Cut a 24” piece of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half. Lay it into the Mini Bowdabra. You’ll have a loop at one end and two loose pieces at the opposite end.
7. Lay your ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra. Decide how big you want your loops. To make your first loop, fold the ribbon and press into the Mini Bowdabra.
8. Continue folding the ribbon back and forth until you have created as many loops as you desire.
9. Scrunch ribbon down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
10. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
11. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
12. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. To tie off the bow, pinch the Bowdabra Bow Wire securely against the bow. Twist the bow 4 to 6 times in a clockwise direction.
13. Fluff your bow and use pop-up glue dots to attach it to the center of the ribbon. Spiral the remaining Bowdabra Bow Wire with a pencil for fun ringlets.
14. Glue pictures into the center of the frames. Your Popsicle stick picture frame is complete and ready to be given as a gift this Grandparents Day.