Rice is such huge staple in our house, I purchase it in large quantities in burlap bags. I have wanted for a long time to recycle the burlap bags into something unique and creative. I decided to use pieces of the burlap along with twill ribbon to sew kitchen hot pads. I absolutely love the bright, vibrant and authentic coloring of the kitchen hot pads. These pads are wonderful for placing hot items on the dining room or kitchen table. Please note: Burlap is highly flammable, it should never be placed anywhere near an open flame.
- 1 1/4″ Twill Ribbon
- 10″ x 10″ Recycled Fabric
- Recycled Burlap
- Quilt Batting (you will need several 1o” x 10″ layers)
- Plastic Rings (if you wish to hang the kitchen hot pads)
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
- Bowdabra Bow Wire
- 7/8″ Orange Grosgrain
- 5/8″ One-sided Printed Grosgrain
1. Begin with recycled burlap. Fold down the edges and machine or hand-stitch to keep it from fraying.
2. Cut pieces of coordinating recycled fabric 10″ x 10″, along with a 10″ piece of twill ribbon to be sewn down the front of the square.
3. Cut several pieces of quilting batting 10″ x 10″ and layer them between the front and back of the fabric. Sew them together and sew a strip of twill ribbon down the center.
4. Sew a finishing edge using twill ribbon.
5. Finish the kitchen hot pads by sewing the recycled burlap onto the front.
6. Sew little plastic rings on the side corner so that the kitchen hot pads can be hung.
7. When giving these kitchen hot pads as a housewarming gift include a bag of rice and a Mini Bowdabra bow. To make the Mini Bowdabra bow place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut 18″ of Bowdabra Bow wire and fold it in half and place it between the Mini Bowdabra.
8. Cut two 6″ long dovetailed grosgrain ribbon. Fold the ribbon strands in half, at the crease mark place the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra.
9. Place the end of one-sided ribbon face down into the Mini Bowdabra.
10. Fold and twist the ribbon and create a 2″ loop.
11. Fold and twist a matching loop on the other side.
12. Create two more 2″ loops by folding and twisting the ribbon.
13. Fold the last loop over the Mini Bowdabra tower and press the end of the ribbon inside. Cut and seal the ribbon from the spool.
14. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end. *Pay careful attention to keep your finished loop on top of the towers.
15. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
16. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. To tie off the bow, pinch the Bowdabra Bow Wire securely against the bow. Twist the bow 4 to 6 times in a clockwise direction.
17. Fluff the bow.
18. Using the Bowdabra Bow Wire attach the bow to the plastic rings. Twirl the remaining Bowdabra Bow Wire around a pencil to create fun ringlets.
19. Give both a bag of rice and your handmade kitchen hot pads as fun and creative housewarming gift.