Red apples make wonderful decorations for fall. I often use apples for home decor because it is this time of year that my children and I visit an apple orchard, for family apple picking. I then use the apples in their lunches, for baking, and also for sprucing up our home! Bet you didn’t realize it, but large Bowdabra bows make beautiful decorations on apples. Use either real apples or the inexpensive fake apples that you find at the Dollar Store. Attach a bow onto the apple and place them around your house.
- Bowdabra® Bow Wire
- Fake Apple (Fresh Optional)
- Floral Pins or Large Pop-Up Glue Dots
- Silk Flowers or Fresh
- Large Width Brown Wire Satin Ribbon
1. Begin by using either a faux or fresh apple. This is a fake apple that I purchased at the Dollar Store.
2. For fake apples: position a floral pin at an angle going with the shape of the apple. Insert pin into center side of the apple. If you are using a real apple use large pop-up glue dots to hold the bow in place.
3. To make the bow for the apple: Cut a 24” piece of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half. Lay it into the Bowdabra. You’ll have a loop at one end and two loose pieces at the opposite end.
4. Cut a piece of ribbon. Dovetail both ends: fold the ribbon in half lengthwise. Position your scissors at the folded edge of the ribbon and cut the end at a 45°degree angle. Place the ribbon in the Bowdabra.
5. Lay ribbon into the Bowdabra. Decide how big you want your loops. To make your first loop, fold the ribbon and press into the Bowdabra.
6. Continue folding ribbon back and forth into the Bowdabra. Cut ribbon after several loops.
7. Lay silk flowers along the top.
8. Scrunch ribbon down with the Bowdabra Wand.
9. While the bow is still in the Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
10. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Bowdabra.
11. Gently pull the bow out of the Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. To tie off the bow, pinch the Bowdabra Bow Wire securely against the bow. Twist the bow 4 to 6 times in a clockwise direction.
12. Fluff bow.
13. Tie bow onto the floral pin using the Bowdabra Bow Wire. Spiral the excess bow wire with either a dowel or pencil.